Sunday, May 27, 2012

WDM, IA - Wax On, Wax Off or Mr. Miyagi was Right

We’ve been home almost two weeks now and, though I haven’t written in my blog, our days have been very full. Or maybe that why I haven’t written. In the meantime we have:

1. Cleaned the RV inside and out. When we’re in a campground, we wish we had a much larger RV like this tag-axle 45’er with 4 huge slides.
2009LibertyH3-45DoubleSlide-2012-05-27-21-13.jpg
When we are washing and waxing it, we wish we had a teardrop RV like this cute little model. Wouldn’t the RV below be a breeze to wash and wax?
teardrop-traveltrailer-2012-05-27-21-13.jpg
of course, Gary’s been thinking of a small 2-seater sports car. Ha, ha, fat chance.

Of course, we first need to clean the RV and, having driven through Nebraska and Iowa during the planting season, we’ve gotten a bit dirty and a bit buggy. I drew the short straw and here I an trying valiantly to get the bugs off the front of the RV.
RVMaintenanceaftersnowbirdtravels-4-2012-05-27-21-13.jpg

RVMaintenanceaftersnowbirdtravels-1-2012-05-27-21-13.jpg
My technique is to get them really wet first. Yecch. Here’s Gary doing the top half of the RV. I came along right after him and cleaned the bottom half. Then we learned that Mr. Miyagi was right: wax on, wax off is the correct technique.
WaxOnWaxOff-3-2012-05-27-21-13.jpg
2.  completely cleaned our home although I am always amazed at how little dust accumulates during the 9 months we are gone. We get more dust when we are here. Hmmm. I put sheets over all of our upholstered furniture and rugs and they are all washed and stowed now.

3.  been up to Fort Dodge to see Gary’s father and my brother who are both are hale and hearty. I also met with some high school friends. That’s Val on the left who lives in Fort Dodge and Mary and Sherron live in Arizona. Mary and Sherron come out to Iowa on Memorial Day to tour, to visit old friends (obviously I’m one of the ‘old’ friends - ha ha) and to put flowers on their parents’ graves.
HSFriendsmeetatValsHouse-2-2012-05-27-21-13.jpg
4.  spent time on the front yard refurbishing our landscaping. Seems that the hostas we put out 2 years ago are bunny buffets. We noticed last year how popular our restaurant was in the neighborhood and I tried every type of spray that I could. We’ve used some stuff that reeks that I have been told is coyote urine. How in the world does anyone get enough to fill a bottle of this stuff, much less all the bottles in Lowes in Des Moines, much less all the bottles in all the stores in the USA - I don’t even want to imagine this process. On the other hand, I haven’t found that this works too well - probably because we have Iowa bunnies who have never met a coyote close enough to be afraid of them.

Our theory is that we put out some small-leafed variegated hostas and these seem to be the ones that are munched on the most. Tasty little morsels for the bunnies. When I pulled into our driveway for for the first time this spring, I was so disappointed. We had worked so hard on the planting and landscaping and it looked so weedy and so munched on. It was sad. Slowly but surely, I’ve been weeding and raking and trying to perk it up. I bought some black netting and some little 4” long green plastic nails and placed netting all over the hostas, trying to preserve what we have. so far it seems to have done a decent job but those bunnies are clever little animals and will probably find a way to gnaw through the plastic netting.

5. spent time trying to catch up on our bookkeeping and other little reports and things. I use an RV campground review site for our trip planning and then, in return, write a lot of reviews myself. I’m behind about reivews and have now caught up. I actually have 45 reviews on this site now.

6. visited Fort Dodge and also put out some flowers on our parents’ graves. It had gotten a bit late in the day and we found ourselves in the dark, on a windy hill, trying to wire the flowers in the vases so they wouldn’t blow away. And, you can see by the angle of the flowers on the right that the wind was making a mighty effort.
VisitingDarleneintheDark-1-2012-05-27-21-13.jpg

VisitingDarleneintheDark-14-2012-05-27-21-13.jpg


As you can see, we’ve been gainfully employed, making up for all the time we played this winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment