Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Jamul, CA - Getting Ready

Yesterday we went into civilization to spend some time online and on the phone. We sat in a Starbucks, drank some coffee and savored a morning cinnamon roll. Then I ruined these good vibes by trying to ‘shop’, which I dislike intently. I don’t mind shopping for a book, or a new mustard or a new computer but I really do not like shopping for clothing. Firstly, the styles left me long ago. Women’s clothing these days is too short, too tight, too sheer and too skimpy. Most clothes I see in stores I wouldn’t wear in a closet with the lights off. Secondly, the sizes left me long ago also. I used to be a 6, then a 4, then I could fit into some 2’s. And, I haven’t changed so I never know which size to try on.

Thirdly there are the colors: neon orange, neon pink and neon puke green. I was talking with a guy who was stocking the women’s ‘cute’ sweatshirt section and he told me that the navy and grey sweats are all gone. ‘But, I’ve got these left’ he said as he pointed to the aforementioned neon colors.

However, I’ve solved this shopping problem: I keep what I have and don’t shop. This works most of the time but every time I need something new.

So there I am in a Kohl’s, shopping. Did I find any bras? Nope, I think even the training bras are padded now. Did I find a light jacket? Only if I wanted to be seen in a dark room. Did I find a pair of shoes? Actually, I did. But, in the box they were attached to each other by a coiled chain, obviously to prevent theft. I put both of the shoes on and, with this little coiled chain between them, tried to walk. I felt like a prisoner being led to my cell.

Oh, well. I don’f have to go through this torture too often. Afterwards we went to Target to buy some of the little 3-oz. traveling sizes of things like lotion, conditioner, sunscreen, etc.

Then we got to make some phone calls before we go back down to our campground in the no-contact zone. My uncle Fred, who lives in San Diego, who we always visit when we’re here, is having a leg operation to open some blockages above his ankle and knee. He was scheduled for Friday, then Monday, then Tuesday and now he goes into the hospital for some tests on Tuesday and has his operation on Thursday. We’re going to try to see him on Wednesday but, in the hospital, we don’t know if we’ll be able to get in.

We’re having some strange meals these days since I’m trying to use up the produce I’ve got in the refrigerator. Last night we had some twice-baked potatoes paired with a salad. I think we’ll have a salad again tonight.

Today we packed our suitcases to see if everything we wanted to take with us to Hawaii fits. Yep, it does and we might even have some extra space. (For souvenirs?) Of course, we’re doing laundry so everything is clean.

I’ve also got a schedule for our trip

We also arranged our storage spot for our RV. We can go into a section of the campground that has storage spots with electricity. On Thursday afternoon, we’ll move to that spot and stay overnight. When we get back from Hawaii, at 1:00 am we can get into our RV to stay overnight. All pretty convenient.

No comments:

Post a Comment