Tuesday, February 19, 2013

FD, IA - Disappearing Blogger

Have we disappeared? Well, if you read this blog, you might wonder where we’ve been for the last week or so. But, no, we’ve just been pretty busy with all the work of clearing out Lug’s house and garage and the confusion of moving from our rolling home to our West Des Moines home to our Fort Dodge home and back to out West Des Moines home and making the circuit again. I’m not even sure what I’ve got in what refrigerator. What did I do with those carrots? Did I bring the cheese home? But, no matter, we’ll be back to the home with the cheese and the carrots before long as fast as we’ve been rotating.

Gary and I went up to Lug’s home on Monday, 2/11, and returned to Des Moines on 2/18. We emptied several rooms and quite a few cabinets and cupboards, amassing all the stuff so that Cathy and Dawn could then separate it into piles: keep, donate, memories which will be sorted out later. When they came up on Friday, we moved right through all the miscellaneous piles in the living room, bedrooms and the upstairs on Friday and Saturday, even moving into the basement.

But still to be addressed are the 15’ counter that Lug ‘rescued’ from a restaurant that was closing in the 60’s, an organ that does not work but must weigh 500 lbs., an old gas fireplace in the basement, a huge black bookcase that Gary had in his room as a kid and an old-as-dirt metal desk that weighs a bit less than the organ but not much less. Gary plans to disassemble them and put them into the trash piles. But that is for another day.

On Saturday, while Cathy and Dawn were with us we went out to Subway for lunch. Gary and I shared a turkey/ham footlong and I was munching away when I felt and heard a hard chunk in my mouth. I tried to find it with my tongue but it was gone and in its place was a jagged edge to one of my back molars. Oof - da, just what I need now. But, at least, we’re in Iowa where my dentist is. I tested it with cold water and found it was not sensitive so thought I could go on. But, why do these things always happen on a Saturday when I’ve got the weekend to wait before I can begin to take care of this problem? On the other hand, it is causing me no pain and I can eat and talk like normal.

We also went for a walk - with a planned goal - to the real estate office of some old high school friends of ours, Dwight and Don, and talked about a new home for Jack. And, then, guess who arrived also? Yep, Jack had taken our earlier suggestions to heart and was going to meet with the real estate agent too.

No comments:

Post a Comment