Saturday, May 4, 2013

WDM, IA - Iowa in May


PastedGraphic1-2013-05-4-21-53.jpgAs many of you know, May had hit with a thud here in Iowa and other states of the Midwest. Or, maybe that's with a slush. We have really had a long winter or a cold spring. I remember last year when we were in cold, foggy, rainy, windy San Francisco, we kept hearing about the great weather in Iowa, temps in the 80’s, t-shirts, sun, shorts, etc. And, here we are now in Iowa and it’s rainy, snowy, cold. Someone is going to get suspicious of us and kick us out pretty soon.

PastedGraphic-2013-05-4-21-53.jpgLast weekend, we were in shorts and t-shirts for the Drake relays 6K race. This weekend, we’re hunkering down with snow and bundled up in down jackets. Next weekend we’ll be back in shorts. We awoke on Friday, Gary opened the blinds and said, ‘snow.’ Did I believe him? Only when I opened the blinds in the bathroom and saw the very same thing on my side of the house. Then we got some pictures from Shirley, who lives in Fort Dodge, about 60 miles north of us. The pictures are beautiful but the story they tell is not. Obviously, you can tell from their boat that they will not be going fishing today, unless they favor ice fishing. Thank you, Shirley. We also heard that Fort Dodge got a snow day on Friday - in May.
Our snow down here in Des Moines was about 2”, much less than the 7” - 8” in Fort Dodge but it was just as unwelcome. And then it continued to snow for another 2 days at which time it turned into rain. Oh, good, slush. My brother in Fort Dodge said it was like shoveling water: heavy, slushy and difficult to throw into a pile.

IMG_4199-2013-05-4-21-53.jpgHere are some pictures from our home. We have a group of 6 egrets who stopped by our pond just in time for the snow. I’m imagining that they are glaring at their leader and hissing: ‘I thought you were taking us to Corpus Christi.’
Luckily I found some inside work getting ready to show our house officially. Here I am on my knees filling some nail holes before I paint over them.
IMG_4220-2013-05-4-21-53.jpg
IMG_4221-2013-05-4-21-53.JPG

No comments:

Post a Comment