Saturday, June 7, 2014

Birch Bay, WA - Real Stud Muffins Don't Need Sugar

‘Life is a tide: float on it. Go down with it and go up with it, but be detached. Then it is not difficult.’

                                                                                   Prem Rawat                                        

Short trip up the road today to Birch Bay, WA., about 8 miles from the Canadian/US border. The goal is to chill out for a bit, visit Vancouver and, maybe, if we’re lucky, take the scenic drive to Mt. Baker. Lucky means that we can actually see Mt. Baker. Usually that pointy little top of the mountain catches every cloud that passes by and wears them as a crown.

But first, I think I’ll make a little treat for the two of us. How about some bran muffins? Easy to make, healthy, tasty - yep, just the ticket.

Heavenly days, I forgot the 1/2C of packed brown sugar in the recipe. How did that happen? It was the first item on the list of ingredients. Now, I’ll admit that I usually cut the sugar in half when I make a treat but I never leave it out completely - they really are supposed to be a treat, you know. But, this time, I must have just had my mind on something else and left it out completely.

Try one of these, Big Gar. You’ll love them. Ummm, ummm. ummm.

Luckily, the recipe called for applesauce and I added lots of nuts and craisins. Whew, they aren’t too bad. And, just think, fewer calories. This must be how I keep my stud muffin trim and slim. I’ll keep that recipe and now that I don’t need to add the brown sugar. Hmmm.

Meanwhile, while I was busy muffing the muffins, Gary was working on maintenance.

It was a beautiful day, sunny and a bit breezy and warm. Why are we working? Obviously, maintenance comes first.

1 comment:

  1. Since it's Flag Day (mine is flying), I was intrigued by your flag questions. Ron and I both knew Hawai'i, but I couldn't find another state. I also guessed that the UN was another place as well as the White House when a Union Jack visitor was visiting. I also have a couple of stories to share about the San Juan Islands. My friend Susan's parents retired there. When I first met her, she has a bumper sticker on her VW that said "Fly San Juan Airlines". Silly me, I thought it meant Puerto Rico! She said the plane almost ran out of fuel while they waited for folks to get the cow off the runway. She and her siblings tried to visit her parents at Holidays, and she and her brother thought they should invent a board game called "Getting Off The Island". There was always some challenge--weather, ferries, etc.

    ReplyDelete