Monday, February 23, 2015

St Augustine, FL - Dull and Duller

I know, you all think we’re Mr and Ms Excitement. And, I hate to disabuse you of this characterization. But sometimes we are Dull and Duller. I doubt that we could even interest babies, dogs or cats.
imgres-2015-02-23-12-11.jpg
LOST KEY

Yesterday we made the long jaunt from Titusville to St. Augustine. All of 82 miles. We pulled into our spot and, as we were unhooking the Jeep, we noticed that the couple next to us was having some trouble. Gary went over to see if he could help and the guy told him that they had just bought the RV and Jeep combination and had never hooked it up. Gary asked if he could help and they started in. Meanwhile I noticed that the woman, who had sat down on the picnic bench, didn’t look good. I went over and asked if she wanted to go inside to lay down. She sure did and I helped her get up and move slowly into the RV. Relieved she sat down and lay her head on the table. I asked if she needed a glass of water. Yes, and I got one out for her.

I looked around and noted that this RV was not ready to travel down the road. Dishes and a toaster oven were out on the counter, papers and books were scattered around, glasses were standing up on a shelf. Not the way I would leave it to travel. I asked if I could help her get it ready to move. She said ‘please could I do it all?’ As I said, she was not feeling well. Then she told me she had been in the hospital last night. Yep, I could believe it.

I did the best I could putting things away, I helped the woman to the navigator’s seat, the guys finished with the hitch and they were ‘ready’ to go. Not to my belief but they took off.

OK, time to finish unhitching the car and getting our ‘home’ ready for a 2-week stay. We put our ‘house’ together and walked the campground. Before we settled in for the night. I noted that I couldn’t find my Jeep key but, knowing that it was somewhere close at hand, I put off looking for it. Well, today, when we started out for St. Augustine for breakfast and to tour some of the town, I really noted that I couldn’t find it and began a more systematic search. Now, there are not a lot of places to look in an RV, it’s not that big. Nor is the car. However, we checked it all over, looked around the RV on the ground and found nothing. I kept waiting for the moment when I would say ‘aha’, remember where I had put it and rush to find it. No ‘aha’ moment, just an ‘oh darn’ moment.


Yeah, but, let’s go for breakfast and we can find it later. While we were in town, we found the Jeep dealer and asked about a new key. Only $226. Oops. We’d better look some more. We did but the result was the same: not to be found. We even went over to meet out new neighbors so we could scour the grounds around their rig, thinking that I might have dropped the key while I was helping the woman.

I guess we have found the definition of lost ‘ can’t be found.’

The excitement is palpable.
url-2015-02-23-12-11.jpg
TV ANTENNA

As you know, Gary and I are not big TV watchers, we like to watch the NBC news at night though will watch ABC and CBS. I also like to watch Downton Abbey but have learned over 4 years that it’s not wise to get involved in a serial TV story since we move around a lot and can’t always get PBS on our TV antenna. Being in the dark ages, we still use the little Batwing antenna on our RV. We noticed that we cannot get PBS in this location so decided to see if Camping World had anything for us. CW is at the next exit and we drove up.

To make a long story short - we have not been able to find anything that will help us get a weak station that is 80 miles away. If we were closer or if the station was stronger - but not if both of these are against us. Maybe we should drive down the road and park in a rest area.
1__%252524%252521%252540%252521__url-2015-02-23-12-11.jpg
NEW SHOES

On the way out of Camping World, we saw a Gander Mountain and wheeled our little Jeep into their parking lot. We both need shoes and this looked good. Mine look from the top but the bottom is wearing thin. Gary’s waterproof hiking boots have quite a few holes in them. Gary mutters something like ‘I’ll wear them in the mall.’ We found new shoes, I told the clerk to toss my old ones & the box - Gary brought his old ones home and says he’ll wear them for work around the RV.

See, life is not always exciting around our RV.
FloridaSunset-1-2015-02-23-12-11.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment