Saturday, May 23, 2015

Port Republic, NJ - Frappe' la Rue, Jack

Time to move on - from the Philadelphia area to the Atlantic City area, near the Jersey shore. Oh, cripes, it’s Memorial Day weekend - a 3-day weekend. Who in the world would move on the Saturday of a 3-day weekend? Who would move to a campground on the Jersey shore on a 3-day weekend? Some stupid retired ‘full-timer’ who wasn’t watching the calendar. I’m retired, everything is a holiday to me, not just 3 days. When I put the schedule together for this trip and made my reservations, I didn’t even notice Memorial Day on the calendar. Well, the saving grace is that we’ve got reservations. Whew!!
url-2015-05-23-12-43.jpg
We have a GPS and I plugged in our destination and got a route. Then I went to Google and did the same thing - different route. Finally, I went to the campground website and asked their directions. They asked me to plug in our starting location and then went to Google and I got - you guessed it - a third route. Now, how can Google choose two different routes, given the same beginning and end? Beats me. Sometimes our GPS chooses one route to go to a place and another route to return home. I don’t get it. Meanwhile, I looked at all the choices and they all took us through Camden, on several Interstates and around and about: busy roads, fast cars and stress. I looked at the map and decided to choose the country route, no Interstates, just back roads. And, what a pleasant trip that was. No stress. Oh, shucks I missed the donuts. I thought they were further down the road but, as I was trying to find them on the GPS so we’d know exactly where they were (it’s nice when you’re in an RV to know ‘exactly’ because often there’s no easy U-turns), I found them - but we had already passed them about a mile. Oh, well. Another day will bring more donuts. Looks like spice drops for our travel treat.

Look at the forests we’re traveling through. Who knew that New Jersey had such a beautiful drive for us. Well, I’m sure that many know about the forests - after all NJ is called the Garden State. However, my trips through NJ have always been along Interstate 95 which takes you through the junkyards, the industry, the warehouses and not much else.
CountryRoadsinNewJersey-2-2015-05-23-12-43.jpg
Oops, this picture is way out of place, we saw this on the way from Gettysburg to New Jersey. We drove through the Pennsylvania Dutch and Amish territory. This was quite a common sight.
DrivingThroughPennsylvania--2015-05-23-12-43.jpg
We did take a toll road for a bit and met the happiest toll taker - ‘I’m too blessed to be stressed’ she told us. Made our day.

And, here were are in a new campground in a new city. When we got here we were told that one section had 50A electricity, water but no sewer. Another section had 30A electricity, water and sewer. We looked around, chose a place but as I was walking on over to the office to check in, I almost tripped over a sewer pipe hidden among some long grasses, you know the kind that the mower mows around. Hmm. I asked the office and finally the manager and the maintenance guy confirmed that it really was a sewer - in the 50A section. So we have it all: 50A electricity, water and sewer.

Family campground, lots of young kids on bikes, lots of teens trying to look cool, lots of happy parents. What a happy campground - everyone’s having a good 3-day weekend: the pool was full even tho’ the temp was in the in the low 70’s. When asked, one young girl admitted, ‘I’m freezing but everyone else is here.’ Families playing miniature golf, kayaks out on the lake, shuffleboards full. I really like the family campgrounds, more than the ‘over 50’ campgrounds. Lots more activity.

I took this picture on a weekday - after every else had left. When we got here, the whole campground was filled.
Campsite111atThousandTrailsChestnutLakeResort-2-2015-05-23-12-43.jpg

‘I’m too blessed to be stressed.’

                toll taker on ACE (Atlantic City Expressway)

No comments:

Post a Comment