Sunday, August 16, 2015

Wheatley, ON - $2.45 Diesel?

Today is an R & R day in the campground. We have some things to do - like writing my journal - and will be busy over the next few days. So, I’d better get crackin’.
One of my main tasks is to empty the refrigerator so we don’t lose any produce and meat to the Custom Agents. We’ve had salad for lunch with the end of the lettuce and tomatoes. I had celery for snack at night. (I can think of lots of other things that might be more satisfying at 9:30 but celery was in the fridge.) Originally, I decided to freeze some chicken in the original packaging with the date and USA place of packaging along with the USA sales slip. How in the world can a Customs Agent say I’m ‘bringing’ in chicken. I’m just repatriating it. However, today, I decided to play it safe and cook it up and steam the last of our veggies (carrots, green beans, sugar snap peas, yellow squash and zucchini and anything else I might find) for dinner. We will finish off the last of the milk for dinner and breakfast tomorrow. About the cheese: I’ve got the sales slip, it’s in its original packaging with the name and address of the American company that made it so we should be OK. Unless we hit an ambitious, by-the-book Customs Agent who says, you’re coming in from Canada and can’t have any cheese.

(BTW - I’m glad I cooked the chicken: I was told by the Customs Agents that it didn’t matter where I had gotten it, I couldn’t bring raw chicken into America. And, they never asked about any cheese.)
I’m probably doing too much and they’ll only ask us if we have any chicken but at least we’ll be ready.

We got to talking with the other RV’ers around us and found out: on one side is a woman who needs a heart operation. She wears a heart pump machine on her waist. In another RV was a couple who are both on CPAP machines designed for those with sleep apnea. In a third RV is a woman with leg problems who can’t walk much and who had a little scooter that she uses. Gary and I are so lucky with our health and we definitely know it.

We went to Point Pelee yesterday, a National Park in Canada. Nice park and - the furthest southern point in Canada. Beautiful day and here I am on the point. I am on the point.
ScenesAroundWheatleyProvincialPark%252526PointPeleeNatlPark-29-2015-08-16-12-58.jpg
Back in the early part of the 20th Century there were quite a lot of developments here. They also put in several parking lots, but never enough for all those who wanted to come here.
ScenesAroundWheatleyProvincialPark%252526PointPeleeNatlPark-33-2015-08-16-12-58.jpg
To make the park, Canada had to remove all of the developments: the homes, the families and the cars. In typical Canadian fashion, the VC covered both the good and the bad of all this.
ScenesAroundWheatleyProvincialPark%252526PointPeleeNatlPark-34-2015-08-16-12-58.jpg
We’ve noticed that Canadian parks don’t take themselves too seriously. They have a lot of tongue-in-cheek. But we enjoyed the park with its many walking paths.
ScenesAroundWheatleyProvincialPark%252526PointPeleeNatlPark-16-2015-08-16-12-58.jpg
ScenesAroundWheatleyProvincialPark%252526PointPeleeNatlPark-25-2015-08-16-12-58.jpg
We were surprised to see this gas price sign: when did diesel begin to undercut regular gas? We were so excited to get the price below when we left the campground but then saw prices as low as $2.45 on our way. Oh, shucks. We have since bought diesel as low as $2.33. We keep hearing that the price of regular gasoline will go below $2.00 this fall but I guess the gas stations haven’t heard this and the price keeps well into the mid-$2.00 range.
FuelPrices-1-2015-08-16-12-58.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment