Monday, November 30, 2015

Mesa, AZ - Concert t-shirt

It’s the local Arizona PBS fund drive. And, yep, we’ve contributed. We watch the local and national news on one of the local stations and then turn over at 6:00 for the News Hour on PBS. But, it’s their fund drive and they have lots of really good programming - especially for those in the Baby Boomer Generation. Tonight we watched an Eric Clapton special. Now, one of my favorite genres of music is blues and Eric Clapton is one of the Kings of the Blues. Oh, yeah, I know about BB King and have actually been to one of his concerts. Absolutely fabulous. He had Buddy Guy with him and they both were fabulous.

But, it’s Eric tonight and I’m drifting back to the concert we attended in Portland, ME June 17, 1982. Oh, so long ago. Fun concert and he sang lots of his big hits. I’ve actually got the play list below - the Internet is an amazing tool. I found this set there. Now, what I really remember about the concert is that I bought a concert t-shirt. Of course, that’s what you do at a concert - you buy the concert t-shirt.
Well, then you’ve got to wear it. Somewhere distinctive so that everyone knows how cool you are. Aha, I was a teacher of 9th graders in the local Plaistow, NH high school. Teachers are so stuffy, so old, so staid. Well, I’ll wear my t-shirt and they will all see how cool I really am. Ha, ha. As if.

So, I put my t-shirt on along with my skirt suit with my little stack heels and headed off to school. I started each class the same way: I began with whatever we were studying that day (that late in the school year, we’re just about closing up - a bit looser than we are in September.) I turned toward the board with a piece of chalk in my hand, took off my jacket and nonchalantly laid it on my chair and then turned towards the class talking as I turned.

Here's what my t-shirt looked like. What happened to it? I don't have a clue.
url-2015-11-30-19-59.jpg
What a laugh I got. What fun. Whoever would suspect that strict Ms. Ferguson would do that. Lots of laughs. But, then the biggest laugh I got was when I walked into the teachers’ lunch room and did the same thing there. End of the school year and we’re all a bit loose. Now - I did not walk into the front office to do it. Nope, I know my limits. Nah, if I had thought of that, I would have done it.

Do we have a picture of me dressed in my teacherly suit, teacherly shoes and my concert t-shirt? Nope, nary a one. Just didn’t take too many pictures back then. No picture of the concert either. Probably didn’t have a camera that could take any kind of picture in a concert setting. But I do have this picture from one of my classes in Plaistow. I like to mix it up a bit and here I am, masquerading as a guest lecturer giving a first-person account of events in the past - and dressed the part.
I have no idea who took the picture - probably the principal for evidence as to why I should be let go.
80sNancyTHSperformance-2015-11-30-19-59.jpg
And, here’s the set list - all my favorites, except ‘Wonderful Tonight’ a sappy song if ever I heard one.
                Tulsa Time
                Lay Down Sally
                I Shot the Sheriff
                Blow Wind Blow
                Wonderful Tonight
                Pink Bedroom
                Ramblin' on My Mind
                Have You Ever Loved a Woman
                After Midnight
                A Whiter Shade of Pale
                Key to the Highway
                Double Trouble
                Blues Power
                Cocaine
                Layla
                Further on Up the Road

I obviously have all these songs in my computer and play them still.

No comments:

Post a Comment