Tuesday, July 26, 2011

WDM, IA - Walking the Mall

You ask: ‘Well, where is the blogger these days?’ And the blogger answers: ‘living a pretty dull life - not one that you’d want to read about.’

Firstly, the weather has been pretty steamy here in Iowa (though it has been steamier elsewhere also) and this has been dictating our schedule. We begin our day with a bit of fruit and then we hie ourselves over to the nearest mall for our daily walk. Sheesh, walking in the mall? What pansies! Well, no, walking in the mall is almost a contact sport and I don’t know the rules.


We arrived at the mall on Monday morning about 8:00, entered, turned ‘right’ (and this is the operative word) and did our rounds, 4 upstairs, 3 downstairs. No problem, everything was hunky dory. Tuesday morning, we switched it up and turned left as we entered, just for a different look. Bad move. The protocol is to circle the mall counter-clockwise. The ‘right’ way to turn is to the ‘right.’ We got stares, we got startled glances as we rounded a corner almost to run into someone coming the opposite direction, we knew we were doing it the wrong way. 2 times around in a clockwise direction, and we turned, like lemmings, and walked the way the others were.

HotWeatherMallWalking-2-2011-07-26-16-14.jpg


Then, I decided to take some pictures of us walking the ma to put here so show how dull life is here. Another bad move. After several pictures at several locations, a security officer, who obviously had watched us on some closed-circuit camera in his ‘command’ center, accosted us and told us it was not policy to take pictures. Oops. Well, luckily I was done.

HotWeatherMallWalking-18-2011-07-26-16-14.jpg


Secondly, my sister-in-law, Cathy, made a marvelous photo album for my father-in-law for his birthday which included all the pictures she and her husband took at his birthday party on the 10th. She not only had all the pictures but she had added stickers and other things that she had found at a scrapbooking store. I thought it was marvelous and a great gift. And - I decided to make a photo album for my brother.

Now, my brother is a 60-yr old bachelor who has never owned a camera. Gary and I have been the ones who take all the pictures at the family events - and have been doing so for our 38 years of marriage and our 3 years of dating. We also have all of my parents’ pictures. We also have some of my grandmother’s pictures. Needless to say, we have a lot of pictures. So, I have been culling through them for the last 3 days trying to find some representative pictures for an album for him. This means not only finding them but also scanning them, putting them into our picture software on our computer, cropping, enhancing and making them useful for an album. Then in Pages, an Apple piece of software comparable to Microsoft Word, I’ve been arranging them. I’ve spent a bunch of hours in the lower level working on this.

I’m pretty sure Jack will like the album but I’m not sure he’ll like it as much as I’ve enjoyed living the old memories and putting the album together.

So that’s life here in the fast lane. Pretty dull but I’ve enjoyed it and am having a great time putting this album together.

No comments:

Post a Comment