Friday, November 4, 2011

Apache Junction, AZ - The Dust Rolls In

We began the day with the Friday Buzz, a get-together in the main lodge with free donuts and coffee and a discussion of the coming events. There are lots of events planned by the Activity Director: dances, dinners, trips both long and short, plays to attend, and a myriad of other activities. There are groups for every interest: hiking, computers, quilt making, woodworking (with a huge fully equipped workshop), chess, pickle ball, golf, etc. In fact, listing all the groups takes about 3 pages in the activity manual. This is a pretty active resort.

Afterwards, a quick trip to the grocery stores and I needed a haircut. I’m sitting there getting my hair cut and look at a poster which says: ‘Haircut, Shampoo, Professional Puck’ and has a picture of a man on it. I asked what a ‘Professional Puck’ was and my hairdresser thought a minute, said “I don’t know’ and asked the woman next to her, the manager. She said, ‘I don’t know, where do you see it written?’ Oh, she said, I just put the posters up, I don’t read them.’ Ok, now I’ve looked it up online and it is a stylish Mohawk.

Back at the RV, we did some bookwork while the dust storm blew around us. We can see the Superstition Mts. from our front window but today they were a bit obscured by the dust. In the picture below, look closely and you can see the outline of the Superstition Mountains. I hear that the winds will reach 60 mph tonight sometime. Several times this summer I watched the news as huge dust storms whipped by Phoenix one of which was 10,000’ high (about 32 miles) and 100 miles wide.
DustyWindsBlockMountains-2-2011-11-4-19-44.jpg
These dust storms carry spores which cause Valley Fever, flu- or cold- like symptoms, tiredness, coughing, swelling of feet and ankles, and various other symptoms. And, we all thought it was paradise out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment