Sunday, January 1, 2012

AJ, AZ - Happy Anniversary

For most people this is New Year’s Day, for us it is our anniversary. Why in the world would someone get married on New Year’s Day? It’s a short, quick story.

We lived in Rhode Island in 1972 and had traveled home for Christmas. It’s a 24-hour trip through some of the snowiest country around Lake Erie and we always drove it straight through, one driving while the other ‘slept’ on a pillow propped up on the seat. This is the days before heated, reclining seats. Our seats were cold and upright. Not always the most pleasant of trips and we usually were bushed when we arrived. Since we had planned on an April wedding we knew we had to drive back to Iowa again then. Oh, yec-c-c-h-h.

On Thursday night we, along with my parents and Gary’s parents, were sitting around and my mother said: why not get married now? And, the longer she talked (she can be pretty persuasive) the more we all thought it would be a good idea. Of course, Gary’s parents probably thought I was pregnant and had to get married.

To get a marriage license in Iowa in January of 1973, you needed to get a blood test, get this to your physician for his statement, take this to the county clerk and fill in the license paperwork. And, we had 3 hours to do this since the County Clerk’s office closed at 12:00 noon on Friday for the New Year’s holiday. And, of course, there was a 3-day waiting period between the license and the wedding - which takes the wedding to Monday, January 1.

Friday morning, early, we headed off to the hospital to get our blood tests done. I went first and, when I stood up so Gary could sit in the chair, I immediately sat back down. Oops, I was lightheaded (must have been wedding jitters). But, I found another chair, Gary got his blood sample, we paid and were on our way to the doctor’s offices. The hospital, which usually sends the samples off to Iowa City, did them there and then and sent the results on to the doctors. As luck would have it, Gary and I had doctors who were partners so we could go to only one office. I signed the necessary paperwork, drove with Gary’s father (our witness) to the county clerk’s office to complete the paperwork for the wedding license.
Nancy%252526Gary%252526ParentsatWedding-2012-01-1-20-12.jpg
It was 11:45 when we got there and, remember, the office closed at 12:00. Gary had not arrived yet with the paperwork from the doctor and I knew I had to stall until he got there to sign the paperwork too. At the door I met an old high school friend, Barb Welch, clued her in that we had to stall and we all talked right in the doorway so they could not close it. Finally, I had to go in to complete the paperwork. Still no Gary. So I played dumb (not too hard) and began asking all sorts of questions about the license. The application asked for my name and address: I asked whether they wanted my married name or my single name, for address I asked whether they wanted my address in Rhode Island or in Fort Dodge. Did I ever sound stupid but it worked, we were there at 12:15 when Gary skidded into the office and could give them the physician’s paperwork and sign the license application. Whew.
Nancy%252526GaryweddingwithGrandparents-2012-01-1-20-12.jpg
We then made the arrangements for our wedding: bought a skirt (all I could find was brown, beige and orange) and blouse for me and a suit for Gary (dark blue with light blue stitching around the collar and pockets.) Did we ever look 70’s, Gary in his leisure suit and me in my hippie long skirt. Isn’t he stylish with that big-patterned tie and his spiffy two-toned Florsheims? Me - brown shoes for a wedding? Well, we had to go with what they had in Fort Dodge at the time and, remember, neither Gary nor I like to shop. Notice in the photo above with our parents, I was the only one who did not get the red, white and blue clothing memo. Gary’s 4 grandparents were all living in and around Fort Dodge so we’re pictured with them above.
Nancy%252526Garyweddingportrait-2012-01-1-20-12.jpg
We hired a caterer, called our guests (parents + 6 guests on each side), set the dining room table at my parents home (luckily my mother decorated for Christmas like there was no tomorrow) and we were ready. At noon on Monday, New Year’s Day, I stopped at the County Clerk’s home on my way to the church, got the license out of the mailbox, and we were married at 1:30. Dinner at my parent’s home and we were in our car heading back to Rhode Island by 4:30.
Nancy%252526Garyweddingcake-2012-01-1-20-12.jpg
Pretty simple. My parents had told us that we could have a fancy wedding OR a small wedding with a trip to Europe. Guess what we chose. In the end, the wedding, though quick and inexpensive, has held for 39 years - so far. The trip to Europe later turned into a trip to England with my parents. Perfect. They always thought it was the best trip they had ever taken.

And, there you’ve got it: Why Nancy and Gary got married on January 1st. So, how did we celebrate today?

        We went to a romantic place to stay (the parking lot of the RV service shop)
ServiceShopCampsite-2-2012-01-1-20-12.jpg
        We visited a romantic spot (a city park with a walking path along the 600 yr-old Hohokam canals) and
ParkoftheCanals-7-2012-01-1-20-12.jpg
        We went out to a romantic spot for dinner (In-N-Out). Gary ordered a cheeseburger rather than a plain hamburger to celebrate.
Nohealthfoodthismeal-2-2012-01-1-20-12.jpg Nohealthfoodthismeal-4-2012-01-1-20-12.jpg
Could anything have been more romantic? If this is how exciting we are on the 39th anniversary, just imagine what the 40th will bring!!!! Tune in next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment