Friday, May 9, 2014

Portland, OR - 3 Adventures

Not every day has great adventures. We can’t hike or find a beautiful waterfall or a great view every day. Sometimes we have smaller adventures: the haircut adventure, the Costco adventure and today we began with the breakfast in a strange city adventure. We tried Yelp for some reviews and found Gateway Breakfast, not too far away from our campground and close to Costco where we needed to go next. The breakfast was pretty good, nothing to write home about, but it was packed the whole time, the servings were adequate, the prices very nice and the service was friendly. When the woman at the next table forgot to order her usual French toast, the waitress asked if she wanted her usual french toast. Very friendly place.

Next was the haircut adventure and sometimes haircuts are a bit more adventurous that others. This was one of those times. I wanted a trim and wanted the back thinned out a bit. When I saw the first cut of 1+” in my lap, I knew I was a cooked goose. I wanted a haircut, not a shave. But, hey, I won’t have to get another haircut for several months. But, now, I have so little hair and so much face that any picture of me will look like a fisheye picture. And, you know, I’ll save lots of time in the morning when I don’t have to blow-dry my hair. Heck, I won’t even have to comb it.

Finally we had the Costco adventure. Not easy to find things that we can fit into an RV in Costco but we’ve got a few corners in some cupboards that we can stuff somethings into. I’ve put the 20-oz bag of Veggie Straws behind the sofa, the soy milk cartons fit behind our bedroom TV and we can fit toilet paper rolls anywhere. Of course, it’s a bit disconcerting to open up the spice drawer and find a roll or toilet paper.

And, of course the tastings are part of the adventure. We know we won’t have a chance for another Costco until we get to Seattle in early June so we stocked up. Craisins, walnuts, soy milk, protein bars, etc. But then I saw the corn on the cob. Now, I’m an Iowa girl and love the annual corn fix - right from the field sold at a farm stand in August. What treat. But this corn was right from the foam tray, sold wrapped in shrink-wrap in early Mary. How in the world could this be edible?

And, also by the way, how in the world could corn come from a farm east of San Francisco in early May? Don’t answer that - I probably don’t want to know.

I was so surprised to find out that this corn tasted pretty good. Not like the Iowa corn in August but it was sweet, crunchy and oh, so delicious for my corn fix in May. I’ll try that again when we hit Seattle in a month.

Our adventures were done and it was time to head back to the RV to do the administrative tasks adventure. And, while we’re at it, how about the wait out the rain adventure, too? And, don’t forget the laundry adventure.

Another note. Even though many RV parks and resorts have free wi-fi, most RV’ers have their own network as we do. One of the networks in our campground now is called CALLOFDUNUT. If you have read this blog for a while, you know about donuts. Why, right at this moment, Gary is circling the park trying to answer the CALLOFDONUT.

No comments:

Post a Comment