Friday, December 26, 2014

Summerdale - Are We Having Fun Yet?

Pretty boring over here. We actually have spent 2 of the last 3 days in the local libraries.
LibraryDayforWifiUse--2014-12-26-22-06.jpg
From open to about 5:30. Not my idea of excitement but it is what it is. Actually, Apple just released a large operating system update and, since we have 2 computers and 2 other devices, we knew that if we wanted to download it to all, we'd go way over our monthly data so - voila - a trip to the library. On Tuesday we hit the Foley library and it took all day to download the update to Gary's computer. Obviously, they cut back on downloads so it goes slower and slower as the day wears on. However, now, he's got the operating system downloaded, now he has to get all of his Mac apps downloaded, Numbers (like Excel) and Pages (like Word) and others. Thursday we headed back to the Foley library but it is closed on Thursday until 1:00. Oh, no, we're already out and packed so don't want to go home - how about the Gulf Shores library? AND - look, on the way is the Krispy Kreme. Now, on the whole, I don't like Krispy Kreme and won't ever stop there for a donut. Their signature donut has no taste, since it's only sugar, and no form - it just dissolves in your mouth. I want a donut that I get to chew - a cake donut. So, I figured I'd get some coffee and sit while Gary had a donut (he's not picky like I am). But they had the most marvelous apple fritters and - oh, my, calm my beating heart - they had a sour cream glazed donut - one of my favorites.  Maybe this trip to the library isn't a loss after all.

        No, the library is as dull as it ever is. I worked a bit more on trip planning, a bit on address changes, a bit on editing and deleting some of our 40,000+ pictures and actually took a walk. I also got in a trip to Walmart. Meanwhile, Gary's updates are taking a bit of time and we didn't leave until 5;00, just in time to hit Walmart again for the milk and other perishables. Home about 6:30 - my, this is getting old. But the best part is still to come: we’ve downloaded the new operating system to Gary’s computer and now - it’s my turn. First the operating system and then the apps. I can’t wait.

Meanwhile we are taking the 5 weeks we have here in the Gulf Shores area to work on projects, projects that we have planned on doing for the last few years. Life just keeps interrupting and we still have these projects ahead of us. I have been wanting to put some personal pictures up in our RV for a while. There is only so much space to put up personal pictures in an RV: most space is either a cupboard, a sconce, a set of cabinets, a door or a window. Not much space is wasted here. And, of course, the decorating scheme is chosen for you - luckily, ours is pretty good - no wild colors or patterns. Finally, I picked up 2 frames that match the wood in our RV and spent some time gathering some pictures to print out. Here is what I finally put together. The left frame holds family pictures: parents and siblings. The right frame holds pictures of our travels. The goal is to change these pictures every year to reflect our new travels.
PersonalizingOurRV--2014-12-26-22-06.jpg
I’ve also been collecting articles from RV magazines over the 7 years that we have been RV’ing. And, I’ve got these all nicely organized in hang tabs: one for each state. And, of course, every time we got to a state, I’d pick up more. I had 2 plastic containers for all this. But, my, these take up so much space. Thus the goal was to scan most of them and put them into my computer so I’d have them organized but save lots of space. I’ve managed to condense them down to 1 plastic container so have moved right along.

In the process, I realized that we had 2 of these plastic containers with ‘Office Supplies’ in them. 2? We’re retired, how many office supplies do we need? How many hang tab files, how many folders and how many divider pages does a retired couple need? My answer was: precious few, especially if I’m on a condensing kick. I’ve also managed to condense all this into one, and, I’m sure, even that is too much. I’ll condense some more next year - to only 1/2 of a plastic container. What will we do with all this space?


Gary? What’s the sailor boy doing? He’s got his own projects and the first one is to finish our flooring. He got most of it in when we were in Altoona but there were a few spots he just didn’t have time for. Now, he has and he’s been working on it. Here he is hard at work. You might think this looks like a bedroom - but, as I explained in September when he did the most of the floor, it is really a workroom. (Note that fancy saw horse. No, that is not a waste basket now - it is a saw horse.) His father would be so pleased that he is using his old tools.
OurRVhasroomforGary%252527sWorkshop-2-2014-12-26-22-06.jpg
Speaking of his father, Milan, or, Lug, which was his nickname, always gave his kids and in-laws a 1 lb. box of Russell Stover candy for Christmas. We could count on it - and we all did. Delicious. Always on sale. Sometimes, he’s find a 2 lb. box on sale and we’d get that. Now he’s gone but we remembered him and his gifts by finding a sale on Russell Stover 1 lb. boxes and bought two. Gary didn’t realize, even when he was holding them that I had already stripped off the plastic, opened one of the boxes and had scarfed down the only chocolate truffle in it. Poor guy. Ah, but there is a second box for him.
RememberingMilan%252527sXmasGifts--2014-12-26-22-06.jpg
Cathy, his sister, sent a picture of herself with a box of Russell Stover, too. We all remember the candy and think of him with every piece we pick up.

No comments:

Post a Comment