Monday, March 21, 2016

San Francisco, CA - 'Administrative Day'

Yep, it’s another day of rain. but after this we have 9, count them, 9 glorious days of sunshine and temperatures in the high 60’s or low 70’s. Even as I write this, I’m planning (Gary calls it ‘plotting’) what our next adventures might be. But today, it’s raining on top of us, foggy to the bay side and foggy to the mountain side of us. We are so glad that we are here for a month - a day or two of rain won’t interrupt us much. But, most of our neighbors are here for a much shorter time and have to make do. We saw three leave with backpacks, raincoats and umbrellas heading for the ferry. Glad I’m sitting inside a nice warm RV only watching the rain pent sideways, feeling the wind buffet our RV and seeing the fog and rain obscure the mountains and hills around us. Nothing like a good ‘administrative’ day.

I’ve got some cool music playing: you know, the oldies: Moody Blues, Bob Dylan, Beethoven. Ahhh.
 
Sometime, we’ll have to made a decision about our daily walk. When to make a break for it (better check the radar) and where to go. We’ve already discovered 3 nice trails to take in this area. One heads north around the bay that we are on, one heads across the highway and around some neighborhoods and one is in back of the campground on some abandoned rail road tracks and circles around a grassy mud flat area. We took this trail a few days ago and enjoyed it immensely. And so were all the others who were also circling this area. Well, the views of the bay are great, it’s not where the kamikazi bikers go since it is a dirt and rock trail and it’s grassy all around. Plus it makes a circle so it’s not a dull out and back trail.

Here are some poppies growing on the abandoned railroad track.
20160319-IMG_1782-2016-03-21-12-39.jpg
We found this spot with balanced rocks. I didn’t know there were this many rocks around this spot
20160319-IMG_1783-2-2016-03-21-12-39.jpg
And, here’s a three-fer: the daily ferry leaving the dock heading towards San Francisco, San Quentin with the sun shining on it and the Richmond/San Raphael bridge which we took to get to this campground. I think that building a prison on a spit of land with water all around, a bridge to the mainland and ferries passing by hourly must be tortuous for the inmates - all this transportation and open space and they’re cooped up behind bars.
20160319-IMG_1786-2016-03-21-12-39.jpg
Hmmm, is this a break in the rain? I can see shadows out there but, then, I’ve seen shadows earlier in the day and right afterwards, the rain came in heavier.

How about some more old pictures? Gary has worked so hard to get these into our photo program in our computers, I want to explore them and use them. My brother and father used to take a fishing trip every summer and they asked Gary to go on their trip up to the Boundary Waters in far north Minnesota. Gary couldn’t go on many trips since we owned 2 video stores and they took a lot of time but a 4-day trip to northern Minn. would be ok. This picture is in 1987.
870800Garyshowsofftheircatch_WithAdjustments-2016-03-21-12-39.jpg
Me? Well, I decided to take up running for my activity when I was a teacher in New Hampshire. Then I put my self up for ridicule when I decided to run in public. Silly me. Here I am in 1983 running through our home town, Hampstead in a race. This picture was plastered on the front page of the local paper and, boy, did I ever hear from all my students, most of whom brought me a copy of this picture.
831002_Nancyraces01-2016-03-21-12-39.jpg
In 1985 we left New Hampshire and moved to Minneapolis where we opened a video store in Brooklyn Park, a northern suburb of Minneapolis. Here we are at our grand opening. We worked the store ourselves for the first few months. Oh, boy, were those some hours. 10 - 10 every day. One day a nice young man came in dressed a good shirt, a tie and a v-neck sweater asking if we needed any help. We talked with him for a bit and told him we’d keep his name in mind but that we didn’t need anyone at this time. He walked out, we looked at each other incredulously and ran after him to bring him back in. Our first employee, Dennis. Whew, at least one of us could take a day off every now and then.
860300MrMoviesad02-2016-03-21-12-39.jpg
And, that’s the old photos for today. Looks like it’s clearing, maybe I’ll run to the office to get our mail - I’m expecting our 2016 edition of the Milepost, the ‘Bibl’e for a trip to Alaska. Our friends, Shirley and Jerry gave us their copy but - they had used the ice cream coupon in it. Well, gotta have our own coupon. No, we just thought we’d like a new copy - so I can mark it all up.

No comments:

Post a Comment