Sunday, March 20, 2016

San Francisco, CA - Rain, Rain, Rain.

The forecast is for rain today and tomorrow and, believe me, California needs it. Of course, as tourists, we’d prefer bright sunny days every day but we don’t have much say. And, so it is rain. We’ve planned to go to the Farmer’s Market in the next town to the north, reputed to be the 3rd larges in California. We’ve got raincoats, let’s go and we found that quite a few had made the same decision.
20160320-IMG_1810-2016-03-20-14-44.jpg
Obviously, the market had fewer than usual but there were customers swarming around. Typical farmer’s market: veggies and fruit, baked goods, music, jewelry, crafts, hummus and pitas, rotisserie chickens with fingerling potatoes cooking below,
20160320-IMG_1788-2016-03-20-14-44.jpg
a lady selling ceramics, face painting and lots of other goods. It showered off and on and Gary and I were constantly pulling our raincoat hoods off and then pushing them off.

People are certainly prepared for buying at this market: one or two had pulled little red wagons with them. One guy had a golf cart with plastic bags hanging from it, a trio of 3 all had big backpacks, several had baskets, and one person had a cute little 3-wheeled cart with a big bin on it. We had some shopping bags, the ones we take to the grocery stores.

I bought some broccoli, strawberries, a cauliflower head and some orange beets. Hmmm. I’ve never seen orange beets but they’ve got to be easier to work with than the red ones that get red streaks and blotches all over your hands, your knive, your cutting board, your pan and whatever else tbhey touch. After one experience, I decided that I’d buy canned beets next time.

We returned to the car to put our purchases away so we could walk and noticed this jail. I’ll bet no one is tunnelling out of this jail - built right into the hillside.
20160320-IMG_1791-2016-03-20-14-44.jpg
Afterwards, the rain seemed to have calmed down a bit so we walked the walking trail they had made. It went around a pond with geese,
20160320-IMG_1794-2016-03-20-14-44.jpg
guys with their remote controlled sailboats in a regatta around some bouys they had put out,
20160320-IMG_1801-2016-03-20-14-44.jpg
and this interesting goat that thought it was a dog. And, maybe the owner thought so too and had it all leashed up.
20160320-IMG_1796-2016-03-20-14-44.jpg
Then home in the rain which had begun to come down harder.

At home, I washed what I had bought. Now, what to do with the beet greens. I know you can good them but I thought I’d put them in a salad. Yec-c-c-h. we just tasted them, I think I’ll put them into the garbage.

For the rest of the day, we stayed inside since the rain had decided to get serious and stop the silly showering which doesn’t do much of anything. We had such a dusty sandy rain in palm Springs that our car and RV had lots of little brown spots on them. Then we had a really clean rain one night further north and cleaned them all off. I’m thinkign this will be a clean rain.

Thus, since this is such a short blog, I thougth I’d turn the tables and put in some early pictures of me since I put some of Gary in earlier. We’ll start with a formal picture of me as a senior at Iowa State. Maybe this was the one that made it into the yearbook. I was usually frowsier than this - I guess the photographer ‘erased’ all my loose ends.
Nancyportrait-2016-03-20-14-44.jpg
I and another teacher rented a small home on Narragansett Bay in Rhode Island. There was a cool wire reel out side and I thougth I’d pose on it. Look at those cool skinny jeans - I’d be right in style now, except this is back in 1970. And, white socks? Oh, my. Looks like I need something better than a Brownie camera.
NancyWarwickNamquidDrive-2016-03-20-14-44.jpg
Then there’s the waterfront picture. I’ve got my granny glasses on and, truth to tell, the frames belonged to my grandmother and I had lenses for me put into them. My favorite glasses.
Nancy%252526fishnet-2016-03-20-14-44.jpg
Now, let’s head to school where I was a teacher for many year. Here I’ve just picked up the stuff in my mail box. I’m sure it’s nothing but announcements - most of which I’ll ignore. .
Nancyteachermailboxes-2016-03-20-14-44.jpg
OK, pictures of Gary and pictures of me. What next?

No comments:

Post a Comment