Friday, September 23, 2011

Brush, CO - Greetings from Brush

Up at 7:00, our usual time. We don’t have as far to go today as yesterday. As we ate dinner last night, we noticed the sunset casting a warm glow over the Walmart store. I don’t want to think of any symbolism for that. And, speaking of sun: it is amazing how the sun can expose any little flaw in a cleaning scheme. Boy, that sun finds the tiniest bit of dust and magnifies it twenty fold so that it sparkles in all its glory taunting me.

WalmartOvernightStop-2-2011-09-23-21-19.jpg


On the road, I miss reading the Des Moines Register over breakfast in the morning. However, I’ve substituted reading news on my iPad, doing the Jumble and the NY Times crossword, which are aps you can get on the iPad. It’s not quite the same but it’s what I’ve got.

Our second day on the road and we make it to Brush, 270 miles from Kearney, NE where we stayed last night.

The trip was mostly uneventful but we noticed that most of Nebraska Interstate 80 is under repair and in pretty good shape. Well, it seemed like ‘most’ of it was. I’m sure that’s hyperbole but they are definitely working on the roads in NE. They are not working on them in Colorado and it certainly shows. We did not ‘roll’ smoothly down the highway we ‘rattled’ down the highway. I was sure that every bolt and screw in the RV would be jarred loose and at the end of the trip,we’d be standing forlongly in the middle of the road with lots of RV parts strewn around us, blowing in the wind. Even my teeth were beginning to shake in my mouth. Sometimes, when there was no traffic, Gary would move to the high-speed lane and travel there since it was smoother, though ‘smoother ‘is a relative term here.

But, we finally got to Brush where there is a small city campground which is free for the first night and $10 for nights after this. There is electricity and some sites have water but there is no sewer for each site. It tends to be a dusty campground but the price is right. Unfortunately, lots leave after the first night. I had an opportunity to speak with the city manager tonight and I told him that it should be $10 for the first night wth the second night free. But, for that they should also put doors on the stalls in the women’s room.

There is a set of trail tracks with a few sidings about 5 blocks from the campground. It was hard not to notice the whistles as they sped by the crossroads. And, then sometimes we got a two-fer, two trains going in opposite directions. What a bonus. However, either they stop at night or we didn’t hear them. And, truth to tell, they really don’t go by that often.

We had a salad for dinner and started out for town on our daily walk. As we were passing a small restaurant we noticed that the annual Octoberfest was being held this weekend. Yes, I know what your first throught is: why is Octoberfest in September? Sure, enough, I asked a local and he didn’t know. As part of this there was a classic car show and a hamburg bar-be-que at the local market and we made a beeline for it. Ah, the smells of the hamburg on the grill, mingling with the smells of the local agricultural crop - cattle. We succumbed and shared a hamburg, chips, cookies and a drink.

When we finished we toured the car show. And, there it was, in all its glory: a candy red and white 1957 Chevy Bel Air. If I were ever to have a classic car, this would be it. I drooled, ogled, circled and then walked on. Then back to the campground.

Oktoberfest-3-2011-09-23-21-19.jpg



And, what’s a car show without a picture of a reflection in a shiny hubcap from a 1936 Chevy street rod?

OktoberfestCarShow-9-2011-09-23-21-19.jpg


I am usually the first one in the shower in the evening. Thus I get to be the guinea pig to see if the water heater was turned on. When we leave our RV for the day, we turn off the water heater, the water to the RV and several other things. How often have I gotten into the shower, turned on the water and had to yell: ‘Hey, Gary, is the water heater turned on?’ Yep, the water heater is not turned on. Luckily, usually the water has not cooled so much and is still tepid so I can get my shower.

Tonight, the guinea pig got another surprise: we had no water pressure, in fact the water dribbled out of the shower head. Well, I lived with that and took my shower - slowly. Gary then took apart the hose, the head and found some mineral deposits. They must have jarred loose on the Colorado roads. Remember how I said we rattled down the highrway?

No comments:

Post a Comment