Thursday, September 15, 2011

WDM, IA - No Wheels, Again

I awoke suddenly at 6:50 this morning to the sound of the doorbell ringing. When I asked Gary if he heard it, he mumbled something about getting my ears cleaned. Oops.

Then I spent the next 10 minutes dreaming about being on a small run-away trolley car with a few others when the car went off the track, heading for a group of people. I yelled for them to get out of the way, they did, I saw a strong young man and asked him to help me stop the trolley car. He did, the alarm went off at 7:00 and I awoke, for real this time. Gary was still snorting, of course, about the doorbell.

Bells ringing in my head, trolleys off their tracks - what would a dream interpreter say about my chances for the coming day?

ExperimentingwithSX30-1-2011-09-15-21-43.jpg


We started out quietly, at Panera for a bearclaw and coffee. Look at that bearclaw and that cinnamon roll. Gary’s wondering where to start. And, the camera angle makes that cup of coffee look huge. I’m wondering how many miles I’ll have to walk to earn that cinnamon roll I just ate.

ExperimentingwithSX30-12-2011-09-15-21-43.jpg


Next to the library to return all my books before we take off next week. And, we’re not going to tell Gary how much I paid in late fees are we? Finally we stopped at Stew Hanson’s for a free oil change, with a coupon we had received in the mail - probably because we bought a Jeep in May. The young man told us we could also get a complimentary car wash. Hooo - boy. Our lucky day.

Ooh, I spoke too soon. The young man (3rd day on his new job - he used to be a lube tech) told us that the tech had tested the oil in our rear differential and found it dark, when it was supposed to be clear. He told us that it was not problem but that we might want to keep an eye on it.

Both Gary and I were a bit confused since we had only 2636 miles on the car. Knowing that we were leaving for 8 months and wouldn’t find another car dealer as amenable to us since we had bought the car here, we pressed and questioned and pressed some more about the consequences. I kept asking about getting to Phoenix, having it checked in a Jeep garage there and having to replace it to the tune of $95 when I think it’s a Jeep problem and not ours. Finally, finally, he said he’d talk to the manager. When he next came back he told me that they needed to replace the ‘whole rear end.’

Huh? Do you understand that? ‘Replace the whole rear end?’ Tires, back seats, rear window - all of the rear end? Why would you need to replace the seats, or the tires, or the windows? I don’t get it. I”ve got visions of a huge can opener slicing through the metal of our car.

Well, ‘the whole rear end’ is car speak for ‘the rear differential.’ Silly me.

This is not good news. After only 2600 miles? And, they are admitting it is a Jeep problem because they are doing it free of charge, or course. My first thought is: what other problems will we find? Is this a ‘lemon?’ When will we have to ‘replace front end? Gary thinks I fret too much.

On the other hand, we are very satisfied with Stew Hanson’s service. A complimentary car wash was good. To have the tech’s analysis, when it was bad, was better (a shyster car dealer migh have hidden it). To have them recognize the problem and completely replace the part is best.

Meanwhile, we are without a car again. They shuttled us home and we can call when we need to be shuttled back.

But, I am not a happy camper.

While we were out walking, we found an elementary id for a young girl. To be safe, it had only the two cross streets as her address but there is an apartment complex there and her last name is Smith. Impossible to find her there. It does have her school name on the id and we will call tomorrow to say we have it. Can we drive over there to deliver it? Nope, no car here.

We’re in a full moon period these days and we’re finding some great views. Here’s what we saw on our way back from Fort Dodge yesterday.

StoppinginDaytononmoonlitnight-12-2011-09-15-21-43.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment