Wednesday, September 14, 2011

WDM, IA - Giving the Bunnies More Salad

We planted some hostas around our front yard two years ago and this year the rabbits have decimated them. We fought them off in the spring, had no trouble over the summer and all of a sudden, the rabbits see our yard as their personal salad. One of our neighbors has lots of mature hostas and has been after me to split them and plant some in our yard. Today I took him up on the offer.

I opened up some holes we had where some salvia had died, put my shovel and trowel into the wheelbarrow and rolled over to his house. We discussed which ones to split and I went to work, quickly finding, splitting and pulling 6 hostas.

NancyworksonHostas-16-2011-09-14-19-21.jpg


I planted them, put fresh dirt over them, fertilized them, watered them and considered it a great morning’s work. Now, to keep the rabbits off them. Looks like a rabbit to my left on the sidewalk surveying the new greens. It’s actually my small hand clippers.

Love the sun on the pond in back of our home.

Scenesfromourdeck-1-2011-09-14-19-21.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment