Friday, August 3, 2012

WDM, IA - On With the Saga

And, here it is, early Friday morning which seemed to dawn earlier than usual. Since his appointment was for 7:15, we were up early. I ate a small breakfast while Gary shaved (he was told not to eat after 5:00 pm yesterday so he tried not to watch me eat) and we were off. Knowing that I had lots to do on my computer, I left my IPad at home (big mistake) and just took my computer so I could do some work while I waited. When we got there Gary checked in and I looked around to see where the table was so I could set up. Not a work table to be seen. Lots of chairs, a few corner tables and a TV blaring while others were trying to talk over it.

We sat waiting until they called Gary’s name, he went in to get prepped and I finished reading the newspaper. Then they called me in and I waited with him. Now the prep consists of putting him into his classy, stylish hospital gown, encasing his feet in colorful booties and - shaving. And, they shave the most sensitive areas. Now, this is the part of the story where Gary plaintively looks at me and asks: ‘Is nothing sacred? Do you have to tell it all in the blog? What happened to privacy?” Ha, ha. So, I will protect his privacy and not detail those areas. I do have to live with him, you know.

I will describe the gown however: it had been through many washings since the pattern and color were now a very light blue, one of the ties was just a 1/2” nubbin and the hem was unravelling. Don’t stand up in that gown, Big Gar. Not much longer for the world - but then, I’d have said that several years ago on this gown and it’s still being used.

Finally they called him in and I left to return home and grab my IPad so I’d have something to do. I’ve got crossword puzzles, books, magazines, etc on the IPad so I could be productively employed while he was gone. Others who were waiting moved in and out of the room: it was a pretty busy place that early in the morning. Obviously, they want to be able to get everyone home by 5:00 and, with operation and recovery time, they need to start early. I understand that outpatient surgery saves lots of money but I often wonder if people are sent home before they are ready. A friend of ours had hemorrhoid surgery, was sent home, began bleeding profusely over night and had to be taken back to the hospital into the emergency room at 2:00 am ashen, in great pain and losing blood by the minute. His wife had to sit there anxiously as he turned more ashen and lost more blood before they decided that he was next in the triage echelon about 7 am.

At 12:30, I was called into the recovery room, Gary was barely conscious and slowly coming out of the anesthesia. The nurse moved in and out of the room, checking him and asking him questions to ascertain his readiness to go home. Flat on his back, in pain, full of meds and they think he can go home. Not on my watch. Let’s wait a bit. And, we do.

Finally Big Gar thinks he’s ready, we close the curtain, struggle to get him dressed, he’s pushed out in a wheelchair and we’re on our way. At home, he immediately goes upstairs (slowly and painfully) to bed and I left to get some more meds for him.

He was on oxycordone, or Percocet, which the nurse told us could sell for $100 ‘on the street.’ At that price, I’m thinking that Gary might do with extra strength Tylenol or I’ll need to get a job. No, just kidding here and I lined up at the pharmacy with the presciption. I was getting out my credit card when the clerk told me that it was $14.00. Well, scrape me off the floor with a spatula and I’ll pay with cash. And, I headed home with Gary’s meds.

He slept most of the day. And night.

No comments:

Post a Comment