Saturday, August 4, 2012

WDM, IA - Up and At 'Em

Today is Saturday, the day after Gary’s hernia surgery and he’s barely walking. At least he’s up but he’s on pain medication, has an ice pack strapped around his waist and is shuffling around. Obviously, he’s not on tap for a 4-mile walk. Thus, I hie myself out to the local mall, park and then decide that it’s nice enough and cool enough to walk outside. I’ve got my music player, there’s a breeze blowing and I’m on my way. However, I’m watching the clouds up in the sky to the west and they are not looking pretty. Well, actually, they are looking really ‘pretty’ for a parched, sere Iowa countryside, just not ‘pretty’ enough for a 4-mile walk.

Luckily, I’ve hedged my bets and am walking on the trail around the mall complex eyeing quick escape routes into the mall. I’ve got my watch on, my phone on my waist and my music player in my hands. I might have hedged my bets in choosing my walking path but I hadn’t brought my emergency plastic baggie. But, I’ve got Reverend Raven and the Chain Smokin’ Alterboys playing their blues in my ear and I’m striding out.

Oops, aren’t those rain drops on the trail in front of me - and around me? Sure enough, the rain is coming on strong and I make a beeline for the mall - on the shortest route. Between Best Buy and the Discount Shoe Warehouse, around the pond to the right and through the Panera entrance. Record time. I arrive at the mall, start my walk around the corridors and - whoosh, the downpour begins. Whew. I look out side and the rain gutters are spewing rivers, 4” eddies are circling the drains on the outside sidewalk and I can’t see across the parking lot. Winds are blowing the rain sideways. Me, I’m high and dry and finishing my walk.

I return home where Gary’s recovering when we get a call from Cathy and Tom asking if we’d like to meet at the book store for some coffee. I’m about to say ‘no’ when Gary says ‘sure.’ Huh? He can’t walk but he wants to go to the book store. Just a social guy, that husband of mine.

But Cathy and Tom are great company and we love to be with them. And, of course, we want to see them as much as we can while we’re in Des Moines since we leave fairly shortly for Arizona. Unfortunately, Gary’s staying power is low right now and Tom gets a call from MidAmerican Energy where he works asking him to come in. Given the winds that blew through several hours ago - it make sense. You see, his job at MidAmerican is to ensure that all of the electric lines in the state of Iowa are not impeded by tree branches. What a job. He carries his branch trimmer in his car with him. No, actually, he directs all of the crews, rather than getting out there himself. But he does get a lot of travel in.

So, our foray outside to the book store ends fairly quickly and we are back home by 4:00.

No comments:

Post a Comment