Sunday, March 29, 2015

Charleston, SC - 'Unseasonably Cold'

We listen to the local newscasts in Charleston and keep hearing the phrase: ‘Unseasonably Cold.' Right now, it is 12:54 in the afternoon and the temperature is 48 degrees. Sunny but 48 degrees, I tell you. I didn’t come south for ‘unseasonably cold’. I didn’t come south for down jackets. I didn’t come south for turtlenecks. For these temperatures, I could have stayed in Iowa. Oh, the irony.

Here are some pictures Gary took of the weather broadcast on the news.
RecordLowsHereTonight-4-2015-03-29-12-49.jpg

RecordLowsHereTonight-2-2015-03-29-12-49.jpg
Ha, Ha. I guess this is what they call average temperatures. Sometimes higher and sometimes lower. We just seem to be a bit lower these days.

OK, here are the temperatures for today. In the upper left hand is our temperature and the next 6 days. On the upper right and the center are the temperatures for Johnston where my brother- and sister-in-law live and where my brother lives, both in Iowa, way north of where we are. Somehow, I think they must be laughing. But, with the winter Iowa has had, they all deserve it. And, we’ll just put on an extra layer. I’m not complaining here, I’m just bemused at the irony.
temps-2015-03-29-12-49.jpg
We walked around Charleston yesterday and enjoyed looking at the homes. Those doors on the left really only go to a front porch, not into the house - as you can see in the second picture. The porch much have the door into the house itself. The third picture is the fence going into the side yard.
PreservingOldHomesofCharleston-5-2015-03-29-12-49.jpg

PreservingOldHomesofCharleston-2-2015-03-29-12-49.jpg

PreservingOldHomesofCharleston-3-2015-03-29-12-49.jpg
They have tram tours, bus tours, Segway tours, walking tours and - running tours. We saw 3 people run up to a house, stop while the lead runner talked a bit then then all ran on to the next stop.
TouringWithYourRunningTourGuide--2015-03-29-12-49.jpg
‘A friend was in front of me coming out of church one day, and the preacher was standing at the door as he always is to shake hands. He grabbed my friend by the hand and pulled him aside. The pastor said, "You need to join the Army of the Lord!" My friend said, "I'm already in the Army of the Lord, Pastor." Pastor questioned, "How come I don't see you except at Christmas and Easter?" He whispered back, "I'm in the secret service.’ Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment