Monday, March 9, 2015

St Augustine, FL - the Misfit

I have a little gadget that I wear called a Misfit Shine. It’s like a Fitbit and all the other little gadgets that people buy to check o their fitness. My brother- and sister-in-law have this same on and, when I went to buy something, they recommended this. So, I bought it. It tells the time which is one reason that I bought it since I didn’t want to wear two gadgets: a watch and the Shine.
HC721-2015-03-9-13-52.jpeg
The process is to set a goal and then try to match it every day. At the end of the day, you sync up with an app on your Smart Phone and, the app will tell you if you met your goal, how many steps you took, how many miles you walked and how many calories you used. Of course, the manufacturers know human psychology and will put a little victory cup on your track when you make your goal. They also put a little icon on your track telling you how many days you have met your goal. Oh, yeah, I also get e-mails from the manufacturer congratulating me when I’ve hit a personal best or when I’ve hit my goal 10 times. You know, a little pat on the back.
EXERCISE-2015-03-9-13-52.jpg
Now, Gary and I walk until I’ve met my goal. Usually we walk this much anyway but sometimes, we’ll get back to the RV and I’ll have to make a round of the campground for the last little bit for my goal. Last night I took the trash to the trash bin.

Guess what? I’ve learned how to ‘game’ the system. Of course, I”m always looking for the ‘work around.’ If I know that I’ll never meet my usual goal during a day (like when we change campgrounds or when we hit two museums in a day or when I get lazy) I change my goal to something much lower, something incredibly easy to get. The next day, I change my goal back. I’ve only done that twice in the 2 months that I’ve had the Shine but - I think that today might be another.

No comments:

Post a Comment