Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Altoona, IA - Sisyphus

First thing we did was to cancel the Kinman appointment to put the new windshield in. Shucks. Since our anti-freeze is leaking like a sieve, we could never have gotten that far without hurting the engine. Then over to Freightliner to discuss the problem. Oh, just buy 2 quarts of anti-freeze and get here tomorrow. Hmmm. 

Then back home. Believe me when I say it’s cold - well, not really cold, but nippy - we’ve been snowbirds too long. You know, when you’ve spent your winters somewhere south for quite a few years, 45 degrees is cold. And then it was really windy out here on the prairie, then the rain started. Ah, well. We were inside. 

Do I get a bit stressed about all the problems we’ve had recently? Well, yeah. I get tired of watching Gary always working on the RV, always taking something apart to see what is going wrong or putting it back together. I’d like to see him have a bit of time off sometime to do something that he wants to do.


While he was taking apart the closet and the entry points to the engine so they can get at the water pump tomorrow, I got the Canon paperwork ready so we can send it in to either get repaired or get a new camera. Oh, my, a new camera. The guy on the phone said this was one of the options. They do sell refurbished cameras so I know they have these. But it seems a bit pricey to fix this camera which now sells for less online than I paid for it. 

Then I filled in our absentee ballots. I voted for the President & Vice President and the senator. I also voted for some of the ballot initiatives and even an amendment or two for the state constitution. In one case, they wanted a ceiling of 36% on loans. I voted for that but, heavens that seems so high. In another we voted to amend the constitution to allow for a commission to re-align voting districts and take it out of the hands of the legislature. 3 Republicans, 3 Democrats and 3 Independents. But - are there even 3 Democrats or 3 Independents in SD? 


We also have our third funeral of the month. Gary comes from a large family: his mother had  8 brothers and sisters and his father had 12. Unfortunately, they are getting older and funerals are to be expected. So, tell me, why does the word ‘funeral’ begin with ‘fun’? Yes, it’s ‘fun’ to see everyone and catch up on their lives, but we sure miss those who have died. Two of the funerals from Gary's mother's side were on the same weekend.

Here are the cousins from Gary's generation. Unfortunately, we seldom see them but enjoy them so much when we do.


We all went out to the cemetery afterwards for the internment. Cathy, Gary and I then visited the graves of Lug and Darlene, their parents. Cathy ensures that there is always a nice saddle on their stone. This smaller country cemetery allows this. My parents are buried in a larger cemetery in Fort Dodge and the rules for flowers are much different.



Gary's aunts are from his parent's generation. I met them when I married Gary, 43 years ago. Because we drove back to Fort Dodge, IA from where we lived in New England for the holidays, we used to attend the family get-togethers between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Big gatherings, lots of hugs and kisses, Santa Clause, $5.00 gifts, tons of good food and a chance to reconnect with those we seldom saw. In my mind, his aunts, Dolores and Marian, below, will always be in their 60's and 70's, when I first met them. You know, we cousins are now that age. Funny how that happens.


The third funeral was from his father's side and was so unexpected. Dawn was able to get back to Des Moines for that and we went out to dinner at a local restaurant and dessert at Cathy and Tom's home.


Oops, Tom's rushing in to get the next picture. Don't worry, Tom, I've got my camera.


And, of course, the selfie since Tom and Cathy's cat, Tigger, was too busy eating to take the picture. I think Tom held the camera and Dawn pushed the button. Teamwork.


Tigger like to have an audience when he eats so Cathy and Tom have a small stool by his dish so they can be there. Now, that's a cat who rules the roost. 

'Nature  gave us al something to fall back on, and sooner or later, we all land flat on it.'

No comments:

Post a Comment